Spinach casserole




When I was twelve I needed something to eat.  I raided the cubbard, the fridge and the freezer.  I found frozen chopped spinach, condensed mushroom soup, Onions and garlic, cheese, boiled eggs and white bread.

Thawed and drained the spinach into a bowl with the condensed soup. I cooked the diced onions added them to the spinach bowl salt and pepper to taste.  In an oven safe bowl put half the spinach mix. Then layer 1 cup grated cheese.  Then layer 2 diced boiled eggs over cheese. Top with rest of spinach mix.  Crumble two slices of white bread over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.   My first dish and still one of my faves.  It was just a means to an end.  Me hungry cook nowwww! It was the first time I knew I could do more than cook. I coud create.



Now my spinach casserole is made with a mushroom béchamel, the same frozen spinach, seriously sharp white cheddar cheese and crumbled toasted Italian garlic bread. 

Super dooper!  I just filled six 16oz casseroles to put in the freezer.  Such a pleasant prospect.

Comments

Popular Posts