Stuffing bread

As a kid I figured out early that the flavors of poultry were enhanced by stuffing.  Or dressing as our family calls it.

Even on a sandwich. White bread, cranberry jelly, a slab of dressing and turkey.  Oh the innocence of the '50s.  No one had ever heard of cholesterol or carbohydrates.  Blissfully, we had no idea how they would change our lives.  

The 21st century is a different world.  Low carb, no fat, no sugar and no red meat are the order of this very boring time.  Anyone who knows me knows I don't always play by these rules.  However I do, from time to time, manage to keep the new rules in sight.

So in an effort to save my childhood favorite I made a loaf of bread that tastes like stuffing.  Surprisingly I had a hard time getting my family to try it.

Well I tried it!  I knew it was one of my greatest thoughts.  But I needed more than just my say so.

I made a HUGE round loaf.  Sliced it open and layered it with turkey and bacon. Slathered it with honey mustard sauce and headed to the Sate Fair in Raleigh, NC!

I think there were over 2 dozen entries that year and I came in second!  Not too bad, Right?

Now this bread is a staple with my poultry.  The very best way to to use leftovers!

Take your favorite recipe for white bread and add:

1 tablespoon ground sage
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced celery
1 clove garlic mince.

proceed with recipe as always.   So good. 

Comments

Popular Posts