mayo

I was out of mayonnaise.  My favorite grocery store brand, Dukes, is the closest to my home made I can find.  Don't worry if you don't recognize the name brand. It is a truly southern kinda thing.

Being out of my fave, I decided to make what I needed.  It is fast and easy.  IF you remember the first rule of making mayonnaise.  NEVER EVER ON A RAINY DAY!  

You would think this rule I would remember as it applies to so many things.  Meringues, puff pastry, yeast breads, and now mayonnaise.  

I remembered.  Finally.  After 2 failed attempts yesterday.  But I did remember.

Besides a sunny day, you will need:
1 whole egg
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
splash sriracha
1 1/4 cup veggie oil
(if you want even thicker mayo reduce oil by 1/4 cup)


I have been told this can be done in a blender or a food processor.  I have never been able get that just right.  

I use a stick blender. No drizzling of the oil forever and a day. On a Sunny day. Just load all ingredients into a tall narrow container, just a little bigger than the head of your stick blender.  Whiz it all up!

This is the result.  Creamy, rich, flavorful emulsion. As it chills in the fridge it will become even more luscious.  The flavors will be richer.




Comments

Popular Posts