Smokey grilled hot dogs on the stove?

When I thought about the bacon mushroom hot dogs, inspired by yesterdays post, I wondered if I could get a more smokey grilled flavor?  Without the grill.

When cooking dogs inside I used to boil them.  Now I grill them on a grill pan better but not just right.  Last night I had a thought.  Marinated Hot Dogs!

That's right!  You heard me!  Marinated Hot Dogs.  WHY haven't I thought of this be for!?!

Pierce 6 dogs with a fork several times. Place dogs in a zip top bag.  To the bag add:  2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke.  I prefer the hickory flavor,  2 Tablespoons of worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup veggie oil.

Close the bag tight. Smoosh (yes smoosh.  it's technical term)the bag around till all ingredients are combined and the dogs coated.  Let dogs absorb as long as you can.  I didn't have my epiphany until late in the day.  So I only got to soak them for 30 minutes or so. Then I cooked them on a cast iron grill pan.


Even with the short soak time The dogs were richer in texture and flavor.  The was a slightly smokey flavor that I never get without a grill.  A longer marinade time should only result in more smokiness.  Right?

I know, while this will never replace the joy of grilled dogs, it will make a big difference in the week  night dog.

 

Comments

Popular Posts