Ranch dressing

I was about 12 when I first found `Hidden Valley' ranch dressing in my Memas fridge.  Grandaddy was dipping a scallion from his garden.  He loved it.  Me too!

I always had those packets in my cabinet.  Then they changed it.  Shifted to milk from buttermilk.  I didn't like it as much.  It was OK because I could still get my buttermilk version.

As the years went on the buttermilk version became harder and harder to find.  I decided I could make my own.  After all it is just some herbs in a creamy base.  Very simple, right?

Not so much.  I started mixing flavors.  I would get close, but no sale.  I tried and I tried.  STILL not just right.

Now I think I am on the mark.  Try it and let me know.

ranch dressing

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 dried chives

Whisk together and refrigerate for at lest 2 hours before serving.  This enough for dinner one night.

I do mix the dry ingredients in larger amounts to keep on hand.  Double, triple or larger will work just fine. An air tight container will keep it for months. (Lock-N-Lock is my go to air tight container.) 

To one cup mayo and one cup buttermilk add 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp of dry mix.  Rest in fridge till dinner.

To my taste buds this is right on the mark.  Again, let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular Posts