Swedish nut cake

Way back in the day my paternal aunt, Sissy, made us a cake called Swedish nut cake.  Simple pineapple pecan cake with cream cheese and pecan frosting.  

I love it!  I remember chowing down in front of the huge fireplace in her great room.

I made it again this past weekend.  It was so good!  I did make one tiny little alteration.  A pinch of salt.

My aunts recipe did not call for it.  Neither did the ones I found on line.  It makes the biggest difference in the flavor. 

I bake mine in my best bake ware.  This is served in the same pan it's baked in. Be sure to wipe away any batter that might get on the sides.  Presentation is everything.

Here is the recipe as it was passed on to me with my little change optional.

Swedish Nut Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9X13 pan

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
20 oz can crushed pineapple
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans pieces
1/4 tsp fine table salt  (optional)

In a large bowl mix eggs, sugar and pineapple.  Slowly mix in the dry ingredients.  Leaving pecans til last.

With a spoon or a spatula fold in nuts.  Pour batter into pan and bake 45 minutes.



Topping

Have this ready and waiting.  It goes on the hot cake right out of the oven.

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup pecans
2 tsp vanilla

cream butter, cream cheese and sugar til smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts. 

Spread onto hot cake straight out of the oven.  Some of it will melt.  That is OK.  It is supposed to.  Keep spreading til the whole cake is covered.

Cool then eat!

 

Comments

Popular Posts