Chicken and rice

When we were young our dad made a kind of chicken and rice casserole.  In a 9x13 baking dish there was layered rice then canned pinto beans.  Chicken pieces were cooked on top.  It was an instant hit with the family.  To this day a craving will hit Charles and nothing else will do.

I am especially glad to have his recipe.  The technique used is very adaptable. I have used it throughout my adult life to make the best use of meager ingredients. 

I could get 2 or 3 luscious meals out what would have been one lousy meal. Take last night.

I had been thinking of Bo Jangles for a few days.  Dads Chcken to the rescue!

If I worked this just right I could have dirty rice on the bottom, creole beans in the middle and baked cajun chicken on top.

Yep, it worked


I make a smaller version of this as it is just the brother and me. It just took minutes to throw together. 

First layer:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1 cup uncooked rice (I use white basmati rice but brown rice works too)

1/2 cup each bell pepprs and onion.  
1 tsp sage (ground)
1/2 tsp each black pepper, oregano, cayenne, garlic, cracked red pepper and onion powder
1/2 pound cooked and crumbled Hot breakfast sausage.  (left over sausage works great but I have sausage cooked and crumbled in the freezer for salad, pizza, sausage gravy and the like)

Stir together and layer in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.

Second layer:

one 15 oz can of pinto beans
2 tsp Creole seasoning

Stir together and layer over rice

Third layer:

Chicken bone in skin on

3 chicken legs
3 chicken thighs
Cajun seasoning
1tsp baking POWDER (this will help skin crisp up)

2 cups chicken stock or broth


Stir together Cajun seasoning and baking powder. Coat Chicken generously with seasoning.  Arrange, skin side up in casserole .

Open oven and pull out center rack.  Place casserole in the middle of the rack.  Carefully pour chicken stock in around the edges of the dish.  

It should take most if not all of the stock.  Cover tightly with aluminum foil.  Bake 45 minutes.  Remove foil and continue cooking 15 minutes.  Or until chicken is done and skin is crispy.

You will have three distinct layers of flavor.  So good!


Thanks Dad!!

 I am calling this 'Daddys Chicken and rice: Bojangles style'

Comments

Popular Posts