New recipe for an old staple

I started being more kitchen aware while I was still working.  Early in the new millennium I was living alone and needed bring my grocery bill down. I still wanted to eat well.

Because I used a great deal of bouillon. In cook rice and noodles. Anything that was boiled or steamed got a lump of chicken flavored salt.

About that time I saw Martha Stewart make chicken, beef, pork broth and stock. Her recipe was what I used until today.




I have heard of something called  Bone Broth.  Essentially it’s a stock not a broth. Broth with whole chickens. Chickens in a large stock pot cover with water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Turn the heat down and simmer until meat is just fully cooked. Another 30 minutes should do the trick.  Turn the burner off and allow to cool at room temp.

Yes, chicken and all.  Allow to sit 12 hours.  I make the broth the night before. In the morning debone both cooled chickens.  I put the perfectly cooked chicken aside for later consumption.  The bones went into the crock pot.

Surprise! Now we make bone broth! Yeeee! Hawwwwww!  None of this is hard. Time consuming but not hard. Put bones into crock pot cover said bones with water.  This is where I veere away from the recipe.  I also add 1 cup of dry sherry. And 2Tbs distilled vinegar about 3/4  the way through. They add a richness to the stock.  Bone broth also has an extended simmer time.  24 - 36 hours. It makes the house smell like a chicken dinner. The dogs were going crazy!



My crock pot simmers on. We will test it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.  I winder if the extra simmer time will make a difference.?




Comments

Popular Posts