Bye bye birdie

As a good foster mom I have been researching mockingbird chicks.  When they fledge and the like.  

It seems mockingbirds leave the nest long before they can fly.  Twelve days after hatching in fact.
 
They will have lost all the grey fluff they were born with and most of their feathers will have grown in.  Just like Gus.


A lot of these fledglings get minor injuries to a wing or a leg when they free dive from the nest.  Just like Gus

They are ok after a couple days.  Just like Gus 

Fine after the rest they scoot under a bush and learn to forage.  Not so much like Gus.

If I keep feeding Gus it will inhibit his ability to fend for himself.  I don't want that.  So tomorrow Gus goes to the woods.  Far from the one snake I know. 

I think I will log off now.  Wouldn't want you to see me cry. Waaaa! Waaaa! Waaaa!

Comments

Popular Posts