Vanilla Experiment

I last used my vanilla beans a few months ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't seal them up very well when i put them back in the pantry.

I went to use them yesterday and they were dried to the point of petrification.  Even with my sharpest knife, I couldn't split the pods to retrieve the seeds inside.

Not wanting to just throw them away.  I decided to try something I saw online.  Home made vanilla extract.
Vanilla experiment:  Day one

I broke all 6 beans and put them into an 8 ounce canning jar.  After filling the jar with vodka, I sealed it up tight.  It will soak for six weeks in the pantry, away from light. 

I plan to take pictures every Wednesday during this process. Look for my updates!  


Popular Posts