Sugar-free apple-butter

As a child I LOVED apple-butter.  As a diabetic adult it didn't love me so much.

I found a recipe for crock pot apple-butter that called four cups of sugar. YIKES! 

crock pot apple butter deserves home made biscuits
Even my gigantor sweet tooth balked at that.  So I doubled the apples and halved the sugar and set to work.  Actually I turned the sugar into splenda without any change in taste or texture.

CROCK POT APPLE-BUTTER

3 pounds granny smith apples; peeled, cored and chopped
3 pounds gala apples; peeled, cored and chopped 
2 cups Splenda
2 tbs ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt 
1 cup apple juice or apple cider or apple brandy  

in a 5 quart crock pot mix all ingredients well.  set crock pot to low & cook, covered, 12 hours.  Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.  

At the end of 12 hours the apples will have almost completely dissolved.  It will be a little chunky.  Stir with a wooden spoon pressing lager pieces against the wall of the crock to make a smoother butter. (I use a stick blender to whiz it upThat works too.)

If you would like a thicker consistency remove the cover, turn the setting to high and reduce until the thickness desired.

Will keep in fridge 6 weeks and 6 months in the freezer. 

The first recipe called for all sweet apples.  I switched half for the tarter, less sugary Granny Smiths.  It reduces the carbs and brings more apple flavor.

this recipe yields about 6 cups 

Comments

Popular Posts