Aunt Sissy

We lost one of my dads sisters late last week.   Our Aunt Sissy slipped away in her sleep.  Like most of the  women in my family my memories of her were built in her kitchen.

There are four recipes she shared with me that have found honored places in my yearly rotation. Italian veggie soup.  A canned veggie basic.  For decades I devoured it without a clue.

The second is was her mothers lemon sour cream pound cake. Aunt Sis was named after her mother and my Grandma Nettie. Every year I shared one of their kitchens as we whipped one up.


Whenever the whole family congregated together this third recipe would surely be dead center of the ‘kids table’ . . . American spaghetti.  Sissy would fill a huge casserole with this spaghetti noodles and sauce.  It’s topped with three cheeses.  Mozzarella, parmigiana and . . . American cheese.  The American cheese might sound a little out of place but all the cousins devoured it. To tell the truth my dad MAY have sneaked a nibble or two, lol!

The last has always been my favorite.  Swedish Nut cake. Pineapple, coconut and tons of pecans in the cake.  The cream cheese frosting has even more pecans.  I think I will always hear her saying “there can never be too many pecans.”

Too right Aunt Sis! Miss you.

Comments

Popular Posts