Smoked Brisket

Masterbuilt 3-shelf electric smoker
Last Tuesday I started up my new smoker and set a brisket on low and slow.  This is my very first smoked big hunk-o-beef.  

I have smoked some awesome sides in the few months since I found this on clearance.  Scalloped potatoes, mac and cheese even some onions to freeze for future burgers.

5 pound beef brisket absorbing the rub
I have put a quick smoke on some chicken legs.  Very good, if I do say so myself.  However, this was my very first attempt at beef.  

I found a rub recipe in one of Charles' smoke everything books. 

A simple blend of sugar and spices most of us keep on hand any way.  Brown sugar, paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder.  The recommendation was to prepare the meat the night before.  Since I forgot, it only had 6 hours to work its magic. The dogs thought even that was way too long.

Hurry get that pan!  Before she pushes it further onto the table!

BTW:  The recipe said to trim away most of the fat.  I didn't, wish I had!

I put the meat on the grill shelf, in the smoker. Added the chips and we were off.

It took 5 hours to become tender like butter.  Juicy and flavorful but a little shy on the smoke.  Next time I use more chips and a longer smoke time.

   
a darn good first try!
sliced brisket with tomato salad and broccoli lasagna
 
This is a really bad pic of dinner.  The brisket made sandwiches every day and fajitas last night.

Can't wait to try again!  
  

Comments

Popular Posts