Purple white bread.

 For several years i have been trying to make the healthiest white bread I can. One of my medical conditions restricts fiber intake.  So no whole grains or leafy greens.

I have been proweling the internet for natural ways to enrich my white bread recipe. With some little successes.

I noticed a couple recipes use malted milk powder instead of sugar.  It adds the nutritional benefits of milk as well as a slightly richer flavour. Also for added protein I used a whole large egg.  After that I saw recipes that used beets in yeast breads. Wow! That should really boost a white bread.

This type of recipes for beet bread was at first all I was intrested in is the gorgeous color.  So pretty! The recipes used either the juice or puree of the beets. Since the puree still had all the fiber found in the vegetable that was out.

That left the juice.  Not as much nutrition as the pureed product but not bad.  Still, I wanted more. More nutritional value. 

Enter powdered beet juice.  Organic juice of the whole beet.  Root and tops.

The brand I chose had less to do with the nutrition, since all dehydrated and powdered foods are a consentration of  the original food, as the price. But the label claims 10.5 consentration.  That ought to enrich a bread of any kind! Yee haw!

These substitutes and additions has not hurt the tender texture inside the loaf. The crispy crust also was unchanged. That tickled me to death. I love a good homemade sandwich bread for my favorite sammies!



So much for the 'empty calorie' white bread.  Huh Mom! I guess its not really white bread any more is it!  Lol!


Aunt Mercy out




P.S.  HOW THE HECK DID THIS 

HAPPEN!

Red outside. Light inside.  Calling all bakers!  HELP!!




Comments

Popular Posts