The Southern platter


 I have had a memory missing since my Cranial boo- boo. As well as the memory that inspired the gift.

I gave my sister, Sally, a large oven safe ceramic platter.  Keeping one for myself. 

Its larger than can be found in most American homes. Eighteen by twelve inches.  It might not impress Martha Stewart devotees.  But it ignited family memories I hope Sally will remember.

All over the Eastern coast there were seafood  houses.  Mostly set up in huge lovely old homes. A couple in Savanna and Tybee Island. One of my favorites is in Slidell outside New Orleans.

All of these places had one thing in common.  A seafood platter.  On the right end there is a small mountian of fried shrimp. Next two huge crab cakes. On the other end a mountain-like lump of fried oysters. Also a big fried flounder filet. A piece of fried cod bigger than my fist too. 

Now if this is my platter the center is reserved for a stack fresh fried hush puppies. In a bowl on top there is an old fashioned recipe for a cup maybe two of tarter sauce. Awaiting plunging hush puppies. In my younger years the hush puppy stack would be half hot french fries. 

We now are equipped with a platter that will hold our prefer stacks. It'll hide in a warming oven until every one is asleep.  

Hmm, I haven't thought about it but does Greeneville NC have a seafood house???

Aunt Mercy out!!!

Comments

Popular Posts