Sugar-free Banana Pudding

Banana Pudding. I recently heard it described as America's trifle. I can see the resemblance.

However, it is not the most friendly dessert for my family. We all love it with a passion. But. . . . Dad and I are diabetic, Dad and Mom have lactose issues and we all have issues with carbs in one manner or another.

I have been experimenting with this for the last few days. And I have found, I think, a very workable dish. Using a blend of Splenda, almond milk and cream I have completely gotten rid of the lactose issue and have lowered the carb content by at least half without sacrificing the flavor and texture we all love.

This does involve a homemade vanilla pudding. I will admit I found this a little daunting at first. Once I did it I realized it was easy peasy. So here it is.

Sugar-free Banana Pudding

Pudding:

1 cup Splenda
3 Tbs Cornstarch

4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt 

1 1/2 cups almond milk (plain)
1 cup coconut milk

1/2 cup cream
1 8 oz bag of flaked coconut (save a little for the top)

Mix all of the above items in a medium sauce pan, stirring until smooth place the pan on a medium heat.

You will need to stir this often while it thickens. Once it begins to thicken add in

4 Tbs cold butter diced.

Add a little butter along whisking all the time until all the butter has been incorporated. remove from heat and add


1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract

At this point continue to stir until the pudding is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Take the pudding off the heat and allow to cool to room temp.

From here on out it is only an assembly project.

In a 10 inch casserole layer sugar-free vanilla wafers (Murry make excellent sugar-free nilla wafers), then a layer of sliced banana then a layer of pudding. Do this once more. Layer another row of cookies and another layer of pudding to finish. Refrigerate at lest 2 hours before serving.

I promise any southerner you know will be impressed!

Comments

Popular Posts